Thursday, August 27, 2009

taking a break from the doldrums of 'try-to-make-chels-blind' activity (i.e. doing the monthly opex for bossman), i happen to find this blog entry (scroll down to 4th May 04 - Snippets of a Party) particularly accurate/relevant, taken within that context and/or otherwise.
Snippets of a Party

(Conversation between me and a woman who's working her way through school as a bachelor-party stripper.)

Her: I did a party for some (insert name of large industrial corporation here) drivers tonight, and they were so nice.

Me: When I used to dance it seemed like the blue-collar guys always tipped the best.

Her: Yeah, they do, and they're more polite, too. Most of those executive types – pah, they're jerks, it's like they think they're entitled to do whatever they want.

Me: I wonder if it's that working class guys have fewer hang-ups about liking strippers – you know, like the white collar guys are all conflicted and embarrassed about wanting to see tits and ass, so they act that out by being rude to you. And blue collar guys are just more relaxed about the whole thing.

Her: Maybe, but I think it's also about how you earn a living. I think guys who work in blue collar jobs just know more about what it's like to be fucking working for a living. They understand that you're working too, and if you're doing a good job for them, they appreciate that. The executive types think that you should be giving it to them for free – it's like a, "Why should I have to pay you for this, you should just give it to me" attitude.
thought provoking. right. back to making myself blind.
sidenote: i like the fact that all these women who blog about their job are so intellectual and articulate.

0 leaping turtles: